Song: Tillana (Valachi)
Artist: Nithyasri Mahadevan
To Listen/Download Valachi (Varnam) by Sudha, Click Here.
To Listen/Download Thillana by Sudha Ragunathan, Click Here.
To Listen/Download Kalinga Narthana Thillana by Aruna Sairam, Click Here.
To Listen/Download Annai Parasakthi (Revathi Thillana) by Santhanam, Click Here.
To Listen/Download Kathanakuthuhalam (Tillana) by Balamuralikrishna, Click Here.
To Listen/Download Kathanakuthuhalam (Tillana) by Aruna Sairam, Click Here.
To Listen/Download Thillana (Basant Behar) by Jayanthi Kumaresh, Click Here.
To Listen/Download Thillana (Misra Sivaranjani) by Lalgudi, Click Here.
You can listen/download these songs by K J Yesudas:
- Chandanamum Javvaddhum / Murugane Kaana Aayiram Kan Vendum
- Dheena Dayalo Rama
- E Puranamula Entha Vedakina
- Enna Punniyam
- En Nenjil
- Entha Nerchina
- Enthan Thayanavan
- Gopalaka Pahimam
- Janani Pahi
- Kandathil Mani
- Kripaya Palaya Shaure
- Krishna Nee Begane
- Kshira Sagara
- Madhuram Madhuram
- Madhurambam Bajare
- Mangala Darsana Dayike
- Mura Hara Murali
- Needhu Charanamule
- Ninne Nera Namminanura
- Paathi Mathi Nathi
- Pahi Pahi Jagan
- Pahi Parvatha Nandini
- Pavana Guru (Chembai With Yesudas)
- Pavamana Suthudu
- Pithukku Man
- Raghuvamsapathe Paripalayamam
- Raghuvamsa Sudha
- Samaja Vara Gamana
- Sangeetha Jnanamu
- Sarasijanabha Murare
- Shilayai Piraviundenkil
- Shri Vinayakam Namamyaham
- Sreeramam Ravikula
- Swagatham Krishna
- Telisi Rama Chinthanato
- Vaathapi Ganapathim
- Vathapi Ganapathim (Chembai With Yesudas)
- Viruboni (Chembai With Yesudas)
Early life and background
K. J. Yesudas was born in Fort Kochi, Kerala, to Augustine Joseph and Alicekutty. His father, who was a well-known Malayalam classical musician and stage actor, was his first guru. Later he joined the Music Academy in Thrippunithura and underwent training. For a brief period, he was with Sri Vechur Hari Hara Subramania Iyer after which he took advanced training from Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavatar, a maestro of Classical Music.Although he is a Carnatic Music expert he mastered Hindustani Music. He has taken the words of Sree Narayana Guru, "One Religion, One Caste for all humans" to heart.
Yesudas began his career in playback singing in Malayalam and Kollywood movies in the early 60's and by mid 70's he entered Bollywood. He has bagged seven National Film Awards for the best singer in the Indian film industry which is a record no singer has equalled, let alone surpassed. In 2006, he sang 16 film songs in four South Indian languages on the same day at AVM Studio, Chennai.
Yesudas has performed in many major cities around the world. In 1965, he was invited by the Soviet Union government to perform at music concerts in various cities in the USSR and also sang a Russian song over Radio Kazakhstan. In 2001 he sang for album Ahimsa in Sanskrit, Latin and English and in a mix of styles including New-Age and Carnatic. In his music concerts in the Middle East he sings Arabic songs in the Carnatic style. He frequently did the role of a cultural ambassador of India through his numerable performances abroad by promoting Indian Music.
In 1971, Yesudas with his musical troupe travelled all over Kerala to raise funds for the Indian Prime Minister's National Defense Fund during the Indo-Pakistani War. He also became Senate member in the International Parliament for Safety and Peace.
- Completed the Ganabooshanam course at R.L.V. Music Academy, Thripunithura, Cochin
- Graduated from the Sree Swathithirunal Music Academy, Trivandrum
- Trained under K. R. Kumaraswamy (former principal of the Music College, Kochi), Kunjuvelan Aasan (a disciple of Nadaswara Vidwan Rajaratnam Pillai), Augustine Joseph, Dekshinamoorthi Swamikal V. Dakshinamoorthy, Ramakutti Bhagavathar, Sivaraman Nair, Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer and Chembai Vaidhyanatha Bhagavathar
After winning the Kerala State Award for Best Playback singer on numerous occasions, he asked that he be ruled out of contention so that to give his peers and newcomers a chance of winning. Despite his request, he was still awarded this award multiple times in the following years.
Harivarasanam, a devotional song composed by Sri Kambakkudi Kulathur Srinivasa Iyer, recited before closing the temple at Sabarimala was sung by Yesudas. Though there have been many different renditions of this song by many different renowned singers, Sabarimala officially uses K. J. Yesudas' voice for Harivarasanam every day.
Awards and honours
Main article: List of titles, honours and major awards received by Yesudas
- Yesudas has recorded over 40,000 songs and has won scores of accolades including the coveted Padma Shri (1975), Padma Bhushan (2002) and seven National Awards for Best Playback Singer.
- He is the only singer who has been accorded the title Asthana Gayakan (official singer) of Kerala State.
- National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer a record seven times by the Government of India
- Kerala State Film Awards a record 24 times for the best playback singer by the Government of Kerala
- Tamil Nadu State Film Awards five times for the best playback singer by the Government of Tamil Nadu
- Andhra Pradesh State Film Awards four times for the best playback singer by the Government of Andra Pradesh
- Karnataka State Film Awards five times for the best playback singer by the Government of Karnataka
- West Bengal State Film Awards one time for the best playback singer by the Government of West Bengal
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1992)
- D. Phil by Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu (1989)
- D. Litt by Kerala University, Kerala (2003)
- D. Litt by Mahatma Gandhi University, Kerala (2009)
- Swaralaya - Eenam Awards 2010 - Decade's Best Talent in Malayalam Music
- Swathi Sangeetha Puraskaram in 2011, highest music award given by Government of Kerala
- In 1970, he was nominated to head the Sangeetha Nataka Academy of Kerala and was being the youngest person ever to occupy that post.
- On November 14, 1999, Yesudas was presented with an honorary award by UNESCO for "Outstanding Achievements in Music and Peace" at the "Music for Peace" event in Paris, a concert held to mark the dawn of the new millennium and whose attendees included artistes such as Lionel Richie, Ray Charles, Montserrat Caballé, and Zubin Mehta.
Yesudas is married to Prabha for more than 30 years. They have three sons, Vinod, Vijay and Vishal. The second son Vijay Yesudas is a budding musician who won the Kerala State Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer in 2007. The family is currently settled in Chennai and Trivandrum. He also owns estates in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA and Flower Mound, TX, USA for personal and business reasons.
Click here for songs you can listen/download in this website.
Artist: K S Chitra
Song: Hare Rama Hare Rama (Mahamanthra Keerthanai of Sri Sri H.H.Muralidhara Swamigal)
Artist: Sattanatha Bhagavathar
"hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare
hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare"
Composer: Sri Sri H.H.Muralidhara Swamigal
Click here to read the lyrics in Tamil
Click here to read the lyrics in English
Click here to understand the meaning of this song
(Note: This is in Unicode format. If the fonts do not show up properly, you need to have Unicode fonts installed and enable Unicode support to your browser)
1. கலியையும் பலி கொள்ளும் துளி நியமமும் இல்லாத
கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே! கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே!
ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம ராம ராம ஹரே ஹரே
ஹரே க்ருஷ்ண ஹரே க்ருஷ்ண க்ருஷ்ண க்ருஷ்ண ஹரே ஹரே
2. ஈரெட்டா வரணத்தை நீக்கியே முக்தி நல்கிடும்
ஈரெட்டு சொற்கள் கொண்ட கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
3. மண்ணுலக ஆசைகளும் விண்ணுலக ஆசைகளும்
கணப்பொழுதில் நல்கிடும் கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
4. பொருளோ செலவில்லை எனினும் அருளோ குவிந்திடும்
கருவில் வாராது காக்கும் கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
5. பண்டிதன் முதற்க்கொண்டு பாமரன் வரையிலும்
அண்டி பிழைத்திடும் கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
6. வாரி இரைத்தாலும் ரத்தினம் ரத்தினமே
அருமையில் அருமையான கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
7. உலக மக்கள் உய்ய ஓர் வழி கண்டாரே
அவல நிலை போக்கும் கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
8. யோகமும் யாகமும் தீர்த்தமும் தெய்வமும்
குடி கொண்ட நாமத்தை கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே ! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
9. சித்தாகாஸத்தில் மிளிர்ந்திடும் நாமமாம்
யோக சித்தி நல்கிடும் கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே ! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
10.பாடிடும் பக்தரையும் பாடிடும் தலத்தையும்
பாவனமாக்கிடும் கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே ! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
11. பறவை விலங்கினம் புல் பூண்டு ஒன்றின்றியே
பரகதி நல்கிடும் கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே ! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
12. தேவரும் தெரிவரே தெய்வமும் பேசுமாம்
உலகம் வணங்கிடும் கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே ! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
13. உலகம் அறிய செய்வேன் என சபதம் செய்தாரே
அவர் சபதம் நிறைவேற கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
14. உணவு மாரிடினும் நீரினில் மாற்றமுன்டோ
நீர் போன்று ஆதாரமாம் கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
15. இருந்த இடத்தில் இருந்த படியே
வருவினை மாற்றிடும் கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
16.சைதன்ய தேவரும் நித்யானந்தரும்
பக்தி வெள்ளம் பாய்ச்சிய கீர்த்தனம் பாடீரே! (ஹரே ராம ஹரே ராம)
In English Font
1. kaliyayum bali kollum thuli niyamum illAtha
kIrthanam pAdIrE! kIrthanam pAdIrE!
hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare
hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare
2. IrettAvaraNaththai nIkkiyE mukti nalgidum
Irettu sorkkaL koNda kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
3. maNNulaga AsaigaLum viNNulaga AsaigaLum
kaNa pozhudhil nalgidum kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
4. poruLO selavillai eninum aruLO purindhidum
karuvinil varAthu kAkkum kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
5. paNdithan mutharkkoNdu pAmaran varaiyilE
anDi pizhaiththidum kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
6. vAri iraiththAlum raththinam raththinamE
arumaiyil arumayAna kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
7. ulaga makkaL uiyya Orvazhi kaNdArE
avala nilai pOkkum kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
8. yOgamum yAgamum thIrththamum deivamum
kudi koNda nAmaththai kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
9. chitAkAsam thanil miLirndhidum nAmamAm
yOga siddhi nalgidum kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
10. pAdidum bhaktaraiyum pAdidum thalaththaiyum
pAvanam Akkidum kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
11. paravai vilanginam pulpUNDondriyE
paragathi nalgidum kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
12. dEvarum therivAre deivamum pEsumAm
ulagam vaNangiDum kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
13. ulagam ariya cheiven ena sabatham seithAre
avar sabatham niraivEra kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
14. uNavu mAridinum nIril mAttram uNdO
nIrpondru AdhAramana kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
15. irundha idaththilE irundha padiyE
varuvinai mAttridum kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
16. chaitanya dEvarum nithyAnandarum
bhakti veLLam pAichiya kIrthanam pAdIrE! (hare rama..)
The meaning of the song
1. Oh, ye! sing! Oh, ye! sing! The HYMN! which, sans any discipline/regulation strikes down even the Kali!
2. Oh, ye sing! Oh, ye, sing! The HYMN! which, of sixteen words bestows liberation, transcending sixteen sheaths
3. Oh, ye, sing! Oh, ye, sing! The HYMN which in a moment fulfills worldly and heavenly aspirations!
4. Oh, ye, sing! Oh, ye, sing! The HYMN! Which involves no cost yet heaps blessings, and Protects [one from] future births
5. Oh, ye, sing! Oh, ye, sing! The HYMN! which is sought by all as the very source of life to the learned and the commoner alike
6. Oh, ye, sing! Oh, ye, sing! The HYMN! Which though showered freely around, is certainly a gem, an invaluable gem!
7. Oh, ye, sing! Oh, yee, sing! The HYMN! Which has found a way of liberation for people of the world alleviating misery!
8. Oh, ye, sing! Oh, ye, sing! The HYMN! Which houses [with]in “IT’ Yoga, Yaaga, holy rivers and deities!
9. Oh, ye, sing! Oh, ye, sing! The HYMN! Which shines in cosmic space, and bestows Yoga siddhi!
10. Oh, ye, sing! Oh, ye, sing! The HYMN! Which purifies the devotee who sings and the place where sung!
11. Oh, ye, sing! Oh, ye, sing! The HYMN! Which bestows the highest state on all – birds, animals, grass and plants!
12. Oh, ye, sing! Oh, ye, sing! The HYMN! Which shows Devas [to you] and makes God speak [to you], and revered by the world!
13. Oh, ye, sing! Oh, ye, sing! The HYMN! to fulfil the vow of the One who swore to make it known to the world!
14. Oh, ye, sing! Oh, ye, sing! The HYMN! vital like the water! food may vary but not water!
15. Oh, ye, sing! Oh, ye, sing! The HYMN! Which as is changes destiny!
16. Oh, Ye, sing! Oh, Ye, sing! The HYMN which Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and Nityananda flooded with devotion!
"Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare!"
Click here to listen the song rendered by Brahmasri Sattanatha Bhagavathar
Artist: Bombay Sisters
Download mp3/Buy Audio CD
Song: Shri Chakra Raja
Artist: S Soumya
Song: Baja Baja Manasa
Artist: Vechoor S Harihara Subramania Iyer